Last Saturday a friend of mine called me, to go shopping. I told her that I was just back from the gym and wearing my workout-gear and she said that she wore sweatpants too (she’s a gym instructor, so yes, that’s her “uniform”), so I tagged along without changing clothes. I ended up buying nothing, because I couldn’t figure out how these tops I was trying on would look like with normal clothes. This “experience” prompted me to combine a list with what to wear and what not to wear when going shopping!
1) DON’T wear sweatpants unless you want to buy clothes that you’ll wear with those sweatpants. If you try a nice top, or a fancy pair of heels, you will never get the idea how they will look like with jeans or a skirt.
For example, if you are usually wearing jeans and you’re on the look out for an appropriate top, wear those jeans!
2) WEAR a bra you normally wear, NOT a sport’s bra. I had this problem on Saturday too. I tried on a blouse on Zara, but with my sport bra and sweatpants I couldn’t tell If it actually looked good on me!
3) AVOID wearing lots of layers. I find it very frustrating when I have to remove my jacket, my cardigan, my top… The less, the better ;)
4) If you want to buy a pair of shoes (or a top), to combine with THAT skirt (or trousers, etc), then DO take THAT skirt with you (or even better wear it). I have this issue when I want to color co-ordinate clothes. So when I search for a top to pass with a specific skirt, I wear the skirt and go shopping!!!
5) AVOID wearing a dress when shopping for separates. Another shopping mishap for me. Picture me in a dressing room trying on a top, and having my dress as a skirt! I ultimately asked for a random pair of shorts, to see how the hell this top truly looks like!!!
Photo credits: all photos found on flickr. Click on photos for source!